- The Netherlands won their fourth consecutive game at the Women’s World Cup as they progressed to the quarter-finals but they had to rely on a last-gasp penalty to see off Japan in their last 16 contest.
- Lieke Martens opened the scoring in the 17th minute but the Netherlands were pegged back just before the break and after a tense second half in which they found themselves under extreme pressure late on, they managed to earn a penalty which Martens kept her cool to convert.
- The Dutch will need to improve on that performance if they are to progress any further in the tournament and should go with the same starting XI although one or two changes could occur after some under-par performances against Japan.
- Italy’s impressive campaign at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup continued as they made relatively light work of China in their last 16 clash to ensure a clash with the Netherlands in the quarter-finals.
- Valentina Giacinti opened the scoring for the Italians in the 15th minute and they were able to double their lead just after the break when substitute Aurora Galli hit the back of the net to seal a 2-0 win.
- Influential Italy striker Cristiana Girelli is a doubt for this game after she was brought off in the first half of the win over China with a knock and their chances of progressing will take a hit if she cannot take to the field.
Netherlands Women vs Italy Women Lineup:
Netherlands Women: Shimeng Peng (GK), Liu Shanshan, Lin Yuping, Wu Haiyan, Han Peng, Wang Shuang, Wang Yan, Zhang Rui, Gu Yasha, Wang Shanshan, Li Ying
Italy Women: Laura Giuliani (GK), Alisa Bartoli, Elena Linari, Sara Gama, Alia Guagni, Valentina Cernoia, Manuela Giugliano, Valentina Bergamaschi, Cristiana Girelli, Barbara Bonansea, Daniela Sabatino
- Italy won twice at the group stage and topped their group ahead of Brazil.
- Italy’s unexpected rise in the World Cup is down to their doggedness at the back, which let in just two goals.
- And giving every football pundits hiding were the Netherlands, who went on to win all three games at the Group stage.
- Either way, whoever wins the game, will be welcoming their first ever appearance in the quarter-final of the FIFA Women’s World Cup.
Netherlands Women :
Top Assist – Sherida Spitse
X factor star – Vivana Miedema
Italy Women :
Top Striker : Barbara Bonansea
X Factor – Aurora Galli
Head to Head Record:
Italy – W W W W L W
Netherlands – W W W W W W
Stats & Facts :
Previous 3 matches
Netherlands-W – 2,
Italy-W – 0,
Draws – 1
Current FIFA Ranking
Netherlands : 8
Italy : 15