Norwich City Vs Newcastle Team News Preview & Prediction
Fixture: Norwich vs Newcastle
Tournament: Premier League – 2019/20 – Leg 2
Date/Time: 18:00 GMT +4 17-th August
Arena: Carrow Road (Norwich)
Match Preview :
Norwich under Daniel Farke may lost 4-1 to Liverpool, but they impressed most people as they looked to play in the same style that got them promoted as Champions last season. They did not allow Liverpool to control possession as much as Liverpool would have liked and managed to create 12 shooting chances of which 5 were on target.
Norwich will be happy to see Pukki get on the scoresheet after doubts whether he would adapt to the Premier League and hope he will continue to lead the team’s attack. The one place they will look to improve on is their defense that looked a bit shaky.
Newcastle began a new season under Steve Bruce after Benitez’s departure with a typically defensive game as they made a weaker Arsenal team toil for their 1-0 victory. Newcastle looked on par with Arsenal in the first half as new signing Joelinton caused the Arsenal defense a lot of trouble with his hold up play and aerial prowess. But as usual, they were unable to create any clear cut chances and eventually conceded in the second half to Aubameyang.
Last matches: NORWICH
03.08.19 CF Norwich Toulouse 1 : 0
30.07.19 CF Norwich Atalanta 1 : 4
27.07.19 CF Luton Norwich 1 : 5
24.07.19 CF Norwich Brentford 1 : 3
19.07.19 CF Schalke Norwich 1 : 2
Last matches: NEWCASTLE
03.08.19 CF Newcastle St Etienne 2 : 1
30.07.19 CF Hibernian Newcastle 1 : 3
27.07.19 CF Preston Newcastle 2 : 1
20.07.19 AT Newcastle West Ham 1 : 0
17.07.19 AT Newcastle Wolves 0 : 4
Head-to-Head matches: NORWICH – NEWCASTLE
14.02.17 CHA Norwich Newcastle 2 : 2
28.09.16 CHA Newcastle Norwich 4 : 3
02.04.16 PL Norwich Newcastle 3 : 2
18.10.15 PL Newcastle Norwich 6 : 2
28.01.14 PL Norwich Newcastle 0 : 0
Norwich vs Newcastle Betting Odds
Norwich to win – 6/5
Draw – 23/10
Newcastle to win – 12/5
Team News :
- The Canaries have a host of injury concerns ahead of the first home game back in the Premier League, and they will be especially worried about the prolonged absences of experienced defenders Timm Klose and Christoph Zimmermann. Alexander Tettey also remains out.
- Jonjo Shelvey will miss out on the trip to Carrow Road after picking up a knock against Arsenal. The Toon will also be without Christian Atsu and DeAndre Yedlin.
Norwich City likely XI
- Defenders:Aarons, Hanley, Godfrey, Lewis
- Defensive Midfielders:McLean, Trybull
- Attacking Midfielders:Buendia, Stiepermann, Cantwell
Newcastle United likely XI
- Defenders:Schar, Lascelles, Dummett
- Midfielders:Manquillo, Hayden, Almiron, Longstaff, Ritchie
- Forwards:Joelinton, Saint-Maximin
Norwich Key Man
With Teemu Pukki up front, you just never can count the Canaries out of getting a goal. They might be down two or three, but the Finnish striker is so tricky and ruthless that he can score in a moment’s notice. If Norwich are to go far, they’ll need him to keep scoring as he did against Liverpool. He will need some help, however, as his partnership with Marco Stiepermann will be big for the club. The German had some chances, but he spurned them against the Reds. He can’t do similar against teams like Newcastle.
Newcastle Key Man
If Newcastle are going to trouble teams this season, it will be via a different method than last term with Rondon at the helm. Their pace will need to get them opportunities, and that’s where Miguel Almiron comes in. He’s still yet to record a goal or an assist, but he’s just the pacy player needed to create difficulties. Up front, they will rely on new signing Joelinton, their record breaking man, to carry them. He’s off to a decent start, but he can become a quick favorite by striking here.
Norwich City vs Newcastle United Stats
- None of the last 16 matches between these clubs has resulted in an away win
- Newcastle have not won away to Norwich since 1993-94
- The Magpies have not scored a goal in their opening away league game of a season since 2011
Factors to Consider
- The game will be played at Norwich’s Carrow Road.
- Norwich lost their first Premier League game of the season 4-1 to Liverpool.
- Newcastle lost their first Premier League game of the season 1-0 to Arsenal.
- Newcastle lead the overall head to head standings 24-16 with 16 draws.
- In their last meeting back in February 2017, they drew 2-2.