Liverpool vs Southampton Team News Preview & Prediction
Match Info: Liverpool vs Southampton
Venue: St Mary’s Stadium, Southampton, England
Date & Time: 17th August 2019, 7:30 PM
League: Premier League
Match Preview :
Liverpool will no doubt be jaded and weary after a long long visit back from Turkey following a herculean extra-time effort against Chelsea in the UEFA Super Cup.
It’s a golden opportunity for Southampton to come out of the blocks and hurt the visitors. The win can go a long way toward starting a new and successful season.
LIV vs SOU Recent form (Last six matches)
Liverpool – D W D W L D
Southampton – L W D L D D
Last Five Games of LIV:
W LIV 2-2 CHE
W LIV 4-1 NOR
L LIV 1-1 MNC
W LIV 3-1 LYON
L LIV 0-3 NAP
Last Five Games of SOU:
L BUR 3-0 SOU
W FEY 1-3 SOU
D SOU 1-1 HUD
L WHU 3-0 SOU
D SOU 3-3 BOU
Head to Head Record:
SOU 1-3 LIV
LIV 3-0 SOU
SOU 0-2 LIV
LIV 3-0 SOU
LIV 0-0 SOU
Team News :
- Alisson Becker is out, while the reports indicate that his deputy, Adrian hurt his ankle during the celebration and remains a doubt for the match.
- Though Adrain declared on his Twitter account that he expects to be fit for the match, Andy Lonergan will most probably start if Jurgen Klopp sees the former as not 100% for the game.
- Naby Keita limped off from Liverpool’s practice session on the eve of the Super Cup and is listed as a doubt for the match.
- Nathaniel Clyne and Dejan Lovren will miss the game due to fitness issues.
- James Milner was seen using the ice pack on his knee after getting subbed in the 2nd half. The 34-year-old midfielder will be monitored before the game.
- Gini Wijnaldum and Adam Lallana are both in contention to start the game.
- Trent-Alexander Arnold should start at right-back, with Joe Gomez moving to the central defence alongside Virgil Van Dijk.
- The team lost the last game by a 3-0 scoreline and it might see Hojbjerg come back in the starting XI to strengthen the midfield.
- There is nobody injured or suspended for Southampton.
- Angus Gunn will be the safety net for the backline.
Liverpool likely XI
- Defenders:Alexander-Arnold, Matip, van Dijk, Robertson
- Midfielders:Milner, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri
- Forwards:Origi, Firmino, Mane
Southampton likely XI
- Defenders:Valery, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand
- Midfielders:Romeu, Ward-Prowse, Hojbjerg
- Forwards:Redmond, Ings, Adams
Liverpool Key Man
Sadio Mane only just returned to the Reds but in his first full start back he rose to the fore, grabbing two goals to help lead them to an eventual win on penalties over Chelsea. The Senegalese’s first strike wasn’t the prettiest, but the second was fantastic and he’ll look to follow up against his former club here. A big part of his success was Roberto Firmino, who came on at half time with his club trailing 1-0. He soon provided an assist for Mane and set him up in extra time as well, further demonstrating how vital he is to the Reds in the process.
Southampton Key Man
Nathan Redmond has been the bain of Liverpool in the past for the Saints, and Southampton fans will hope he can be that again here. He has electric pace on the counter and fine close control. Those two things could be what unlocks a much tougher Reds defence these days. In midfield, Pierre Hojbjerg is one to keep a close watch on. The Dane is adept at pressing and though his work goes unnoticed, he’s been an integral part of this team’s survival of late. They need a massive game from here to cling on and earn something from it