Pakistan will have an improbable task of making it to the semifinals of the ongoing World Cup when they take on Bangladesh in the final group stage game at the Lord’s on Friday. After England thrashed New Zealand by 119 runs on Wednesday, the equation for Pakistan is pretty simple: They need to bat first, score 400 runs, dismiss Bangladesh for 84, and win by a margin of 316 runs. Simple, but definitely not easy. It’s a victory margin that has never been achieved in the history of one-day cricket.
However, if Bangladesh bat first, then Pakistan are out even before the game begins. Pakistan’s journey so far in this World Cup has been similar to that of 1992, except for the knockout stage where they don’t seem to enter.
After registering back-to-back defeats against Australia and India, Pakistan came back strongly and registered three consecutive victories, all in must-win games, against South Africa, New Zealand and Afghanistan. However, in order to make it to the last four, they needed England to lose one of their last two matches, which didn’t happen.
Even if Pakistan get knocked out of the tournament, they can be proud of the way they came back strongly after receiving some really harsh criticism, both from the fans and former cricketers after their defeat to India.
Bangladesh, on the other hand, came out with a spirited performance in this World Cup. They played like one of the contenders to win the trophy and gave their opponents a run for their money in almost all their matches, except against England when the hosts posted a total in excess of 380.
Pakistan Team News –
- Wahab Riaz has suffered a finger injury, he might not feature in this game. Hasan Ali can replace him.
- Pakistan will stick to its winning combination with Haris Sohail back in the middle order and Shaheen Afridi to hold the bowling attack.
Bangladesh Team News-
- Bangladesh lost to India by 28 runs in a thrilling encounter and are out of the Worldcup with one game left to play.
- Mahmudullah is expected to be fit for the final league game after missing out the India fixture with a hamstring injury.
- Mehidy Hasan is expected to come into the side replacing Rubel Hossain as a tactical change.
- Mustafizur Rahman was the pick of bowlers in their defeat to India as the left arm pacer managed to finish the game with the figures of 10-1-59-5
The Number’s Game
Venue Stats-Lord’s, London
Pakistan (at Lord’s) :
Played : 12
Won : 5
Lost : 7
Bangladesh haven’t played any game here at Lord’s. This will be 1st game of Bangladesh at Lord’s.
Head to Head (in ODI) :Overall :
|Matches Played||PAK Won||BAN Won||Tie||No Result|
In last 10 games :
Pak Won : 6
Ban Won : 4
Tie/NR : 0/0
In World Cups :
Played : 1
Pak Won : 0
Ban Won : 1
Teams Recent Form
PAK : W W W L L
BAN : L W L W L
Pakistan Probable XI – Imam-ul-Haq, Fakhar Zaman/M Hafeez , Babar Azam, Mohammad Hafeez/S Malik, Haris Sobail, Sarfraz Ahmed, Imad Wasim , Shadab Khan, Wahab Riaz/M Hasnain, Mohammad Amir, S Afridi.
Bangladesh Probable XI – Tamim Iqbal/Litton Das, Soumya Sarkar, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Liton Das/Shabbir Rahman , Mahmudullah, Mosaddek Hossain, Mohammad Saifuddin, Mehdi Hasan/R Hossain, Mashrafe Mortaza, Mustafizur Rahman
Wicket Keeper –
- Mushfiqur Rahim( Technically very strong batsman, 102, 83 in last 2 of 3 games)
- Liton Das( Middle order, attacking 94 in 1st game he played)
- Sarfraz Ahmed ( bat’s very low)
- Babar Azam( Backbone of Pakistani batting, 2 centuries against England in last series)
- Imam ul haq( 36 last game)
- Fakhar Zamam( Hit or miss type)
- Tamim Iqbal ( Best batsman of Bangladesh, 48, 62, 36, 22 in last 4 games )
- Mahmudullah ( Very good middle order batsman, experienced)
- Soumya Sarkar( Opener + part time pacer, attacking batsman + in very good form, 2 wickets + 33 runs last game )
- Harish Sohail ( 89 on WC debut against SA, 68 against NZ,Attacking batsman)
- Shakib Al Hasan( No discussion, best allrounder in world, 542 runs this WC including 2 century + 11 wicket)
- Mohammed Hafeez( Middle order+ part time off spin)
- Imad Wasim( Attacking batsman + left arm spin)
- Mosaddek Hossain ( Attacking batsman+ part time spin )
- Mohammed Amir( A lot of Experience with him, 5 wicket haul against Australia, 16 wickets in this WC in just 6 innings)
- Wahab Riaz( impact bowler, wicket taker, 11 wickets this WC still now)
- M Mortaza ( Experienced bowler, not in good form, just 1 wicket this WC)
- Mutafizur Rahman( 5 wickets last game, death over specialist)
- Md Saiffudin ( Good young bowler + attacking batsman, 10 wickets in 6 games, ,51 in last game, bowls in death overs)
- Shadab Khan ( Leggie, Pakistan most important bowler, can bat also, 1 wicket in last game)