– England Dominating in this Worldcup From very First Match,They won last game by a huge margin of 150 Runs and are currently at 3rd Position with 4 wins from 5 games.
– Jason Roy is ruled out due to hamstring and will not be available for selection in this game.
– Liam Plunkett who missed last game might replace Moeen Ali in the Playing XI.
– Johnny Bairstow and James Vince will open the inning for England. Bairstow is a very attacking batsman and always scores in flat pitches while Vince is also a strong solid batsman scoring tons of runs in the domestic circuit. Bairstow scored 90 in last game.
– Joe Root will bat at 1 down. He is the Pillar of England teams middle order, He is one of the best batsman around. He just missed his 3rd WC2019 century in last game. He got out on 88. He will also bowl some overs if required.
– Captain Eoin Morgan will bat 2nd down. He is in the best form from last year. He is the highest scorer of the team from last year. He has scored 669 runs this year so far. He played one of the best innings in WC history ever scoring 148 of just 71 balls with 17 massive Sixes.
– Ben Stokes will bat next at 3 down. He is among the best All-Rounders around. He will not be much useful in SL as he doesn’t get chance to bat and he only bowls 4-5 overs.
– Jos Buttler will bat next 4 down. He is at his best form from the IPL. He scored attacking 103 runs against Pak and 66 against Ban. He generally plays at his best. He can be promoted any time for big hitting.If England Bowls first he will not get chance to bat.
– Moeen Ali(if plays) will bat at 5 down and do the All Rounding duties. He is a excellent hitter of the ball and is very good with his off spin. He can bat at 4 if Morgan doesn’t play.
– Chris Woakes will bat next. The all-rounder Woakes has been a sensation for England in the recent past. He not only delivers with the ball but also got the ability to give those crucial runs for the team. He scored a very good 40 with bat coming at no. 3 and also took 1 wicket.
– Moeen(risky ) and A Rashid will lead spin attack for the team. Moeen is known for his tight line and length while Rashid is a attacking leg spinner. Rashid is going through a very bad patch and haven’t took wickets from the Pakistan series. He finally took 3 wickets in last game. Joe Root will assist them if required.
– Chris Woakes and Jofra Archer will lead the pace attack while Liam Plunkett(if plays) , Mark Wood and Ben Stokes will assist them. Jofra Archer took 3 wickets in last game while Wood took 2 wickets. Archer and wook together have taken 21 wickets this WC.
– Sri Lanka would require a lot of effort to beat England to keep themselves up in competition of semi-final spot. The Lankans are currently placed at No.6 in the points table as two of their matches got washed out and a win against Afghanistan in the five games they played. They lost their last game against Australia where their batting collapsed suddenly.
– Suranga Laxmal who was Ruled of from the previous match has been seen practicing in the nets. So most probably he will make it to the XI. Any 1 of Suranga Lakmal(high) / Jeevan Mendis can replace Milinda Siriwardana.
– Captain D Karunaratne and Kusal Perera will open the Innings. D Karunaratne is in very good form. Perera is a attacking batsman while Karunaratne is technically very strong. Parera scored 78 against Afg but after that he haven’t played any big knock. Karunaratne is looking like a lone warrior in team. He got out on 97 in last game.
– Thirimane / Avishka Fernando will bat at no 3. Thirimanne is technically strong batsman while Avishka is a very attacking batsman. Thirimanne failed in almost all the games and has very high chances to get replaced by Avishka.
– Kusal Mendis will bat at 4. He is a very talented youngster but failed in all the matches and ia totally looking out of form.
– The experienced Angelo Mathews will bat next at 5. He has a lot of experience with him and is team’s most reliable player but failed in almost all the matches. He is going through very bad form with the bat.
– Dhanajaya de silva will bat at 6. Dhannajaya is a decent batsman and will also bowl some over of off spin.
– Thisara Parera will bat next and handle the allrounding section. T Perera is a very attacking batsman and can score really quick. He is not scoring runs according to his ability from last few matches but can win the match for his team on his own.
– De Silva and Jeevan Mendis (if plays) will lead the Pace Attack of team. De Silva took 2 wicket in last game.
– Lasith Malinga, Isuru Udana, Nuwan Pradeep and S Laxmal (if plays) will lead the pace attack along with T Perera. Malinga has a lot of experience with him. He took 3 wickets against Afghanistan. Udana took 2 wickets in last game. He is also a good hitter of the ball.
Pitch report – Headingley, Leeds
This is the 1st match of WC2019 at this venue. There is absolutely no chance of rain during this match. This pitch is very flat with batsman getting huge support. However, the fast bowlers can make life difficult for the batsmen if the conditions suit them. The weather prediction suggests that the day will be partly sunny with intermittent clouds.
If England Bat’s 1st again a 350+ score in expected.
Matches Played – 74
Won by England – 36
Won by Sri Lanka – 35
No Result – 03
Avg 1st inning score: 226Avg
2nd inning score:207
Highest Total: 351/9 (50 Ov) by ENG vs PAK
Lowest Total: 93/10 (36.2 Ov) by ENG vs AUS
Highest Chased: 324/2 (37.3 Ov) by SL vs ENG
Lowest Defended: 165/9 (60 Ov) by ENG vs PAK
– England won each of their last six ODI matches they played at the Headingley in Leeds.
-Sri Lanka has defeated England only once in the ten ODI meetings since the 2015 World Cup.
– Sri Lanka won their previous three World Cup matches against England in 2007, 2011 and 2015.
– Chris Woakes has one 4-wicket haul and a 5-fer across 3 ODIs he played at this venue.
– Lahiru Thirimanne has a batting average of 69.6 in ODIs against England; his best against any side in this format. Thirimanne scored 348 runs with his career best of 139* and two fifties across ten innings against the English team.
England Probable XI- James Vince, Jonny Bairstow, Joe Root, Eoin Morgan (C), Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler (wk), Moeen Ali/Liam Plunkett, Chris Woakes, Jofra Archer, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood.
Srilanka Probable XI – D Karunaratne, K Perera,L Thirimane/ Avishka Fernando, K Mendis, Angelo Mathews, D De Silva, Thisara Parera, I Udana, Lasith Malinga, S Lakmal/Jeevan Mendis, Nuwan Pradeep.
Jos Buttler( 103,66, 1 in last 3 games, One of the best batsman around, very attacking )
Jonny Bairstow ( Best explosive opener, 51, 45, 90 in last 3 games)
Kusal Mendis (Their most important batsman, very talented, Not in good form)
Kusal Perera( Very attacking batsman, opener + WK points )
Eoin Morgan( Highest scorer of England this year, 148 of 71 in last game with 17 massive Sixes)
Joe Root( Pillar of England batting, 100+2 wickets in last second game, 88 in last game)
Angelo Mathews( Very experienced, not played a big inning from long time)
Dimuth Karunratne( technically very strong, 4 50s in last 5 innings,97 against Australia last game)
James Vince( Will open for England, very good batsman, high chance of scoring big Today)
Ben Stokes( Considered among the top All-Rounders around, Pointa with both bat and bowl )
Chris Woakes(Relies on swing, very good bowler + handy batsman)
Thisara Perera( Good attacking allrounder, could change the match in only few overs)
Dhanajaya de silva( good allrounder, can be handy with both bat and bowl, 2 wickets in last game)
Moeen Ali( Excellent IPL this season, hard hitter of the ball + very good off spin bowler, bats low, risky)
A Rashid( 43 wickets last year and 18 this year, Leggie, 3 wickets after a long time in last game)
Jofra Archer( Relies on pace and line length, 3 wickets in last game)
Lasith Malinga ( best bowler of Sri lanka , death over specialist)
Udana( Left arm Pacer, death overs specialist, handy batsman, 2 wickets against Australia )
Liam Plunkett( highest wicket taker for England in middle overs since 2017, death bowler, risky but high chance to play)
Mark Wood( Good pace and bounce, wicket taker, 2 wickets in last game,9 wickets this WC in just 5 games)
Key Points To Note Before England Vs Sri Lanka ICC World Cup 2019:
1] Pick Top order from England & Pick 7 Players from there side.
2] Joe Root averages above 50 vs Sri lanka.
3] Sri Lankan Middle order have collapsed in last few matches & so they might again loose there 10 wickets. Morgan is most successful batsmen at leeds & averages 60+ here.
4] Adil rashid have taken most number of 10 wickets at leeds
KEYPLAYERS FROM ENGLAND
Joe Root | Eoin Morgan | Jofra Archer
- Joe Root has 2 centuries and 2 half-centuries in his last 5 matches.
- Eoin Morgan was in lethal form in the last game where he hit the ball for six 17 times. Expect the captain to deliver again.
- Jofra Archer has been a find for England. He has 12 wickets to his name in the World Cup.
KEYPLAYERS FROM SRILANKA
Dimuth Karunaratne | Kusal Perera | Lasith Malinga
- Dimuth Karunaratne has lead by example and has looked like the best player for his team. He has 2 half centuries in the tournament so far.
- Kusal Perera, like his captain, has also scored 2 half-centuries at the big stage and will need to shoulder on the responsibilities against a tough opponent.
- Lasith Malinga has not been in great form for some time now for his national team. But a player of his experience can be relied upon to step up.